This April marks the 15th Anniversary of Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM)! Tri Valley Haven has many opportunities to get involved and help prevent violence this month and all throughout the year!
Sexual Assault Awareness Month is about raising awareness about sexual violence in communities across the world, while providing tools and resources on how to prevent sexual violence. With nearly 1 in 5 women and 1 in 71 men in the United States experiencing rape or attempted rape, now is the time to use our voices to stop the violence (1).
Sexual assault is a public health issue that affects women, men, children, families, and communities. Many survivors of sexual assault experience various effects as a result of their assault. Short term effects may include guilt, shame, fear, shock, and feelings of isolation. Long term effects may include long-term health risks such as PTSD, depression, eating disorders, possible STIs and pregnancy (2). However healing is possible when survivors have support!
At the Haven, we work hard to support survivors in every way possible. While we work to prevent sexual assault and create awareness in our community, we also provide counseling services, support groups, advocacy during hospital visits or police interviews, and a 24/7 crisis line (1-800-884-8119) for support at any hour of the day.
Together we can end sexual assault. If you are interested in getting involved and being a part of the solution, here is a list of SAAM events offered or collaborated on by Tri-Valley Haven.
We hope you’ll join us in striving to create safe, respectful, thoughtful, violence-free communities!
- April 5-29th: Tri-Valley Haven’s Clothesline Project displayed in the 1600 Counseling Area, Las Positas College and displayed at Tri-Valley Haven Community Building (3663 Pacific Avenue, Livemore)
- April 14th 7:30pm: Screening of The Hunting Ground, Tri-Valley Haven Community Building (3663 Pacific Avenure, Livermore)
- April 23rd, 8am: Pace for Peace 5K/10K Run/Walk, Tri-Valley Haven Community Building (3663 Pacific Avenue, Livemore)
- April 26th, 4-6pm: Escalation Workshop in the Mertes Theater, Las Positas College
- April 29th, 7pm: Candlelight March, Downtown Livermore
For more information, please call (925) 449-5845 or visit our website: www.trivalleyhaven.org
Amanda is a Bilingual Sexual Assault Advocate at Tri-Valley Haven. For more information about upcoming events or services, please call our office at (925) 449-5845 or visit http://www.trivalleyhaven.org
1. Black, M. C., Basile, K. C., Breiding,M. J., Smith, S. G., Walters, M. L., Merrick, M. T., Stevens, M. R. (2011). National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey: 2010 summary report. Retrieved from the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/nisvs_report2010-a.pdf]
2. NSVRC, 2016. Sexual Assault Awareness Month. National Sexual Violence Resource Center. Retrieved from http://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/saam_one-pager.pdf